9S Winter Warmers: Challenge 1

Past events / Archive of scheduled events.
May be read by: Public+

Moderator: Leaders

Katelin
Leader
Twitter: @Nine_Swords
Timezone: UTC+01:00

Post by Katelin »

Winter Warmers Recipe & Photo

Swords, do you have a go to soup in the winter? Or perhaps a slow cooker recipe that you know will warm you all the way through when you get home from work? Perhaps you have a recipe for a Hot Chocolate.. or maybe, you have a sweet tooth and cannot resist a sponge pudding and custard.

We want you to share your recipe with us, and a photo of your yummy food!

You have from today until the 7th November at 12noon GMT to submit your recipe and photo.
The recipe does not have to be your own creation, but you should only submit a photo in your entry that you have taken yourself.

On the 7th of November at 12:00 noon GMT, no further new entries may be submitted. By the end of the day of the 7th of November in the opening post of this thread will be a vote. All 9S members can vote on their favourite entry! Voting closes on the 10th of November.

This competition is open to members of Nine Swords.
Each member may submit 1 entry.

The member with the most votes by the end of the voting period may choose a Prize from Rifla's Prize Pot. The prize must be claimed by the 19th of November to ensure that the Prize Pot can be adjusted for the next competitions winner.

Participants List:
Rifla - does not want to be in the vote
Katelin - does not want to be in the vote
Xaoti
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
They would do the same for you.
riflapotetflak
Leader

Re: 9S Winter Warmers: Challenge 1

Post by riflapotetflak »

Ill start it off thought I will not accept any prizes at end of competition.
Its called Sodd in Norway and been used since Vikings were around.
As quick and easy one is a common meal used for everyday food or even in a party if you have to make food to a lot of people.

Usually consists of diced mutton, meatballs (made with beef, lamb or mutton), carrots, and potatoes served in a clear, fragrant broth. The vegetables are usually cooked separately and are then added to the broth. Its endlessly adaptable. Its often served with traditional flatbread but I just use homemeade bread and butter on side. The meatballs are made with cornflour, whole milk, heavy cream, ginger and nutmeg. It is important to ensure that the Sodd is not boiling, but holds high temperature

Shamelessly included my inherited grandmas old salt and pepper shaker for extra internet points
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2099 times
Kharuma

Post by Kharuma »

looks very tasty... and the homemade bread <3
Katelin
Leader

Post by Katelin »

As I mentioned in cabal chat when I logged out earlier on, I was going to make this:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/swe ... onut-raita

We did make it. Our apartment smells amazing, and our bellies are full :D Was really yummy.. even though my dosa (pancakes) were not as thin as they should have been, and we had to improvise on a couple of spices we didn't have. Durendal didn't let me reduce any of the spices - so was rather grateful that the raita cooled things down!

Can definitely recommend!

Sorry the images don't include the raita and chutney... my priorities shifted when it was all plated up :p
yummy.jpg
yummy.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
Xaoti

Post by Xaoti »

Hot Chocolate

Makes 2 cups of hot chocolate

Ingredients:
  • 0.5 L whole milk
  • 70 g dark chocolate (50 - 70%)
  • Sugar optional
Toppings:
  • Whipped cream
  • Vanilla extract
  • Sugar (optional)
  • Cinnamon
  • Chocolate shavings

You can add more chocolate than the recipe calls for if you want. You should wait until the end though, or it might be too rich.

Start with chopping the chocolate into small pieces. Then melt the chocolate on low heat with a small amount of milk.

Hot_Choc0.jpg
Hot_Choc0.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2065 times

Stir occasionally. When the chocolate has melted, add the rest of the milk little by little. You can add sugar if it isn't sweet enough for you. Heat the hot chocolate to near the boiling point (DO NOT BOIL IT!!) and it's ready.

Hot_Choc1.jpg
Hot_Choc1.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2065 times

For the topping, I like to use whipped cream with a small amount of vanilla extract in it. You can also add some sugar if you like. I top it all off with a sprinkle of cinnamon and chocolate.

Hot_Choc2.jpg
Hot_Choc2.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2065 times
Xaoti

Post by Xaoti »

one suggestion from me: extend the deadline to include the entire weekend. I was very busy this week, and I'm sure that applies to other members too. So it would be nice to have at least one entire weekend to complete challenges in the future. :)
Katelin
Leader

Post by Katelin »

Was trying to fit it all into November - but I agree that with just 1 entry.. we may need to rethink timings.

Gratz on winning Challenge 1 by default Xaoti :D
You may pick your prize!
Xaoti

Post by Xaoti »

thank you :) I'd like the third age brand please
Katelin
Leader

Post by Katelin »

Rifla is holding that one in his bank! :)
Katelin
Leader

Post by Katelin »

Did you manage to trade with Rifla, Xaoti?