Thanasi's Journal

Coffee, cake and a chat. (IC)
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Didaskalos

Thanasi's Journal

Post by Didaskalos »

7 Ιούλιος 2012

We had our first cabal meeting tonight, which also meant it was my first chance to meet many of the members of the cabal face-to-face. In a group of forty or so, I could form impressions of only a few.

The first person on the list was the boss, ‘Uragon.’ Κ. Hunter is...well, I don’t know what to make of him so far. I expect the leader of a cabal to be fairly serious, but with this group of eclectic individuals, who can know. I will say this for the man: he ran an efficient meeting, given the chaotic personnel.

Κα. DeGrey, called ‘Nema,’ the head of Dussack Division is...well, I can see why she would be in charge of discipline: she scares me. Not in the sort of “Is she going to blow something up” way that the one called Cephas scares everyone; or in the “Is she going to do something unspeakable to me in a dark corner when no one else is looking” way that the one called Cephas scares everyone; or in the “Is she going to do something unspeakable to me in plain view of everyone who will be too stunned to do anything about it” way that the one called Cephas scares everyone; but in the stern, serious taskmistress way.

I also got to meet the other perhaps more important boss, given my role: Xeeyon. It, of course, was not the first time I got to speak with Κα. Kotone-Marsh. In the weeks leading up to this meeting I’ve had the opportunity to speak with her by phone and, of course, by internet communications. We even explored the Blue Mountain this morning, which was an interesting experience. She is quite the wild fighter and has a particularly memorable gait. I even noticed it this evening, which was my first opportunity to meet her in a social setting.

Αξέχαστες δεν είναι κακό πράγμα.

The more important meeting for me was the one organized by Rapier division afterward. There were only nine other individuals in attendance at that one. The list of codenames include Torvus, Xeeyon, Arcadius, Books, Hebdomas, Incendia, Jennet, Cephas, and Kotts.

Κα. Kotone-Marsh ran the meeting. She revealed she is of mixed Japanese and Canadian descent and is also the children of Secret Worlders—a Dragon and Illuminati.

Yet she turned out all right.

The one called Cephas spent most of the meeting sitting on the mantle of the fireplace, talking to his gun—whose name I regretfully forget—and leering at the ladies. This latter was disappointing, since it caused two of them to cover up more.

Μερικές φορές τα σύννεφα εμποδίζουν τον ήλιο.

This Cephas is either very competent at applying clown makeup and preventing it from fading, or he’s tattooed clown makeup to his face. I don’t know which I would find more unsettling.

As to the rest, I confess I wasn’t paying as good attention as I could, being focused rather on the sun and other celestial orbs. I managed to catch everyone’s preferred names at least. Well, those who gave them.

Torvus – Wesley Farnham – prefers ‘Wes.’
Arcadius – Alexander Williams – prefers ‘Alexander.’ Good name that.
Books – Salomon Armitage – prefers ‘Books.’ He is, apparently, a studious type like Gladstone—the type who does it for fun rather than prestige. Reminds me of too many overachieving classmates.
Hebdomas – prefers ‘Heb.’
Jennet – prefers ‘Jen.’ She was one of the two ladies in attendance. I do not include Κα. Kotone-Marsh in that number because she is my superior and also declared to be in a relationship with Kotts.
Cephas – prefers ‘Ceph.’
Kotts – Conlan Sinclaire – prefers ‘Conlan.’ He mostly kept quiet during the meeting. It was not, in fact until after the meeting that I learned his name.

I, of course, advised them that I prefer to be called by my natural nickname Θανάσι. I also blessed Κα. Kotone-Marsh with a bit of flirtation, which drew a blush and some enthusiasm.

Οι αλλοδαπές γυναίκες δεν είναι προετοιμασμένοι για τις προόδους της Ελληνικής άνδρες.

After the meeting, I was able to encourage a handful to join me at the Tabula Rasa. Those who came were Κα. Kotone-Marsh and Κ. Sinclaire. We mostly discussed business while it was just the three of us. We were later joined by the young beauty called ‘Incendia.’

Her actual name is Katja Holm, and she prefers Katja. She’s a Scandinavian type, from Sweden I believe. I’m fairly sure she mentioned Stockholm. Katja is pleasing on the eyes, having piercing blue eyes and layered black hair, pale and tragic like so many northern women. And hot. Literally: she is an elementalist, as though the name did not give it away. The tragedy of her life—I sense—is the sudden upheaval caused by the bees. I imagine she struggles with the loss of the dream of a normal life.

Αυτό έχει συσταθεί με το διάταγμα του Θεού.

As usual, I attempted to cheer her up and maybe probe her corners by buying her a pint. I should have liked to probe more corners but had to leave on sadly pressing business.

Before that, though, I was able to teach them some Greek. Κα. Kotone-Marsh asked me what κυρία meant, as well as γεια σας and γεια σου. I learned then that Κα. Kotone-Marsh prefers to be called by her first name, Izumi.

Most importantly, I taught Katja how to remember my nickname: “Friends call me Thanasi, but you can call me ‘yours.’" It had the intended effect. When I mentioned that it never fails, she said, “So you’ve said this to other women?” A clever riposte, but I was able to parry: “No, only to myself in the mirror, but I haven’t forgotten yet.”

Sometimes it is good to be me. Other times, I leave behind women at bars to fetch a sword.

Και εκείνο ήταν μόνο το Σάββατο.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanasi Vasiliou - Rapier Division
Didaskalos

Re: Thanasi's Journal

Post by Didaskalos »

8 Ιούλιος 2012

I ran into Izumi today out in the desert.

Λέω ότι ήταν δικό της λάθος.

In truth, I am always a little surprised to run into another member of the cabal out there, which I suppose is silly since there are more than 75 of us and only so many active theaters at the moment.

Παρεκκλίνω.

The more or less surprising thing—I have not decided which yet—is that I recognized Izumi at all. For purposes of her mission in the desert, she had appropriated some desert garb that rather obscured her face. Nevertheless, that gait of hers I wrote of yesterday was distinctive enough that I needed only to follow her for a short time to verify her identity. Despite being undercover she was even kind enough to speak with me for a few minutes.

Είμαι ακαταμάχητη.

Speaking of irresistible, I have this overwhelming compulsion to refer to her as Κα. Kotone-Marsh. It feels wrong to call her Izumi. I feel like one of those hyenas in Ο Βασιλιάς των Λιονταριών. Like I should giggle like a σκανταλιάρικο παιδί.

Or a hyena.

Mufasa!

Izumi!
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

14 Ιούλιος 2012

Izumi asked me to look after Rapier Division for her while she is away for some time. She assures me that she will be available by phone should I have any needs.

Which reminds me: it appears that a prerequisite of Templar leadership is an odd phone manner. K. Sonnac is very abrupt with his messages, saying less over the phone than he does via text message. Dame Julia does not seem to know what mobiles actually do. And now Izumi....

She called me while I was in the farmlands outside of Harbaburești. While I was in cover avoiding sniper fire, actually. She asked if I was in a safe place or not and I told her yes: I was in both really. Since she apparently understood my message, she told me she needed to meet with me at my earliest convenience.

And then hung up.

Αυτές οι ξένες γυναίκες είναι πολύ παράξενες.

After that, she called me again and I think she was preparing an automated message. Στα γαλλικά.... At that point I told her I could meet with her shortly in Egypt if she so desired. I had handled my sniper problem.

Agartha is not a good transition to Egypt from the Carpathians as far as temperature goes. In Romania, I wore a thick leather trenchcoat. I believe I would have melted to the sands if I had attempted to wear the same in Al-Merayah.

Nevertheless, I met her atop the Cafe Giza and she explained to me her forthcoming situation. Naturally, I agreed since she was clearly recognizing my inherent greatness. Truly, I shall be a just and merciful ruler after the manner of Δημήτριος Ιωαννίδης.

I was charged to maintain order, which included 'resolving disputes' between division members by sending them to the Fight Club if necessary.

Υπάρχει χρήματα σε εκείνο....

Once I had time--because, of course I accepted without checking--I reviewed the division directives again. Nothing terrifying. My nominal wards are:

SirVent - whom I do not think I have yet met. His file says his name is Ventus Forge and he is an American.

Οι Αμερικανοί έχουν τέτοια περίεργα ονόματα.

Hailstorm - Alexandra Mackenzie. Another I do not believe I have met. Scottish by birth, Swedish by heritage, British SIS by training. Should we really be telling people these things?

Venator - Victor Leone. I have not met him, but his file was very interesting reading.

Didaskalos - Me. A source of endless trouble in my life.

Incendia - Katja Holm, whom I have most certainly met. She is just slightly younger than I. If anyone finds this journal, I did not make a photocopy of her file, nor do I know how such came into my posession. Her file lacks photographs. Perhaps I can work with her to remedy that.

Such file need not be public.

Beaubelle - Silke Laflamande. I only briefly encountered her at the cabal meeting, but I am aware that she is involved with Κα. DeGrey. She is ten years older than I. Does not really look it.

AurKayne - Absolutely nothing in the cabinet on this member. I do not even know if it is a male or female. Splendid....

As far as I can tell, no apparent problem children, but one never can tell. The only one I am at the moment remotely concerned about is Victor. He is too interesting not to worry about. Perhaps I will see about meeting up with division members as they are available.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

16 Ιούλιος 2012

It has been a productive day so far. I was able to converse with both Beaubelle and Venator. I decided it would be wise to record my thoughts while I take lunch at the Horned God. So much to think about.

Beaubelle tells me she is okay with being called Silke or Beaubelle or "anything but Bêbê." I do not think I shall ever be in a position to call her that anyway, so crisis averted. She had apparently been sent to an asylum, which caused me great distress. Two days into Izumi's sabbatical and already a member has been committed!

Δεν μπορώ να πιστέψω ότι πήρε τόσο καιρό.

As it turns out, she was there on business. Something of a relief although deeper conversation leaves me wondering if she was not lying.

Her file lists her nationality as "European." I am reminded of a clip on YouTube where some American celebrity thought Europe was a country. Perhaps she has been listening too much to Frau Merkel.... Anyway, her birth nationality is Belgian, I believe. She says she is Flemish, so she could be from the Netherlands as well, I suppose. Not French, since she indicated France is not her native country. Whatever the case, Dutch is her native language, and she also knows French, English and some German.

As for K. Leone...his file said nothing of origin or nationality. He revealed today that he is, in fact, Estonian by birth, Finnish by heritage, is studying in the UK, and speaks Estonian, Russian, Finnish, English, and a bit of French.

Ακούγεται σαν ρωσική μαφία για μένα.

Most importantly, I partnered up with Katja in the Blue Mountain today. It is only after she departed that I returned to London to process my thoughts.

Ξέρει ....

I learned much about myself when it comes to such situations. I have learned that it is quite easy to get distracted when adventuring in pleasant company. The A'kab seemed greatly interested in breaking up my reverie by swarming us in fairly ridiculous numbers. If it were not for the fact that I am Thanasi, and that all the ladies want to be with Thanasi, to be part of his clan, I might have been worried.

Έτσι ... ναι. Είμαι ανήσυχος.

Nevertheless, a good day. Now where did I put that file folder?
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

OOC: What Thanasi is listening to.

17 Ιούλιος 2012

Today has been a slow day, tragically. At least as far as Rapier Division goes. No one got sent to an asylum. I did go traipsing around Transylvania. It was 4° in Transylvania today. Do they know it is July, I wonder? Then again, the internet tells me it was 44° in Egypt at 9 a.m., so...Transylvania is nice.

Αν δεν πειράζεις βαμπίρ. Και λυκάνθρωπους.

Wes--the one called Torvus--went catatonic before noon. He was babbling something about never wanting to have children. Then something about bone saws and fire. I may have an idea what he was talking about, but it is something I would also rather never think about.

Ποτέ ξανά.

His distress made me check the division roster again. He is not in Rapier, so I will leave his misfortune to someone else. Anything I do not need to report to Izumi is a good thing. I did text her about it, but more because I was amused.

Επειδή είμαι ένα φοβερό πρόσωπο, και είμαι εντάξει.

A few hours later, he got stuck in hell. It had been a busy few hours, so I rechecked the roster just to make sure I still was not responsible for him. Life is good sometimes.

And other times I adventure in Transylvania.

Με άλλους άνδρες. Μπλα!

I need to stop listening to sexy music (καθόλου!) while journaling.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

18 Ιούλιος 2012

Nice and handsome. These are the words of the day.

It has been a very cold and wet day, such as can only be understood by a person who has had to run around in Transylvania in July. It was made warmer, albeit still wet by hanging out with Katja today.

I am not sure that sentence sounds like what it means.

She is an elementalist: she gives off flames even while standing around.

Αλλά παρεκκλίνω.

I left London early this morning by invitation to join up with Katja and help her explore Transylvania a bit. It was for both of us a learning experience. I learned that vampires and werewolves really like her too much.

Θα μπορούσε κανείς να πει, "Σαν λιπαρά παιδί κέικ επιθυμίες."

Αλλά παρεκκλίνω.

That facet of the experience was a bit distressing because every time we died it hurt. Inside. Outside, too, but that is less of a metaphor.

After a few rounds of such pain and suffering, we went to The Owl and Eagle for a pint of ale. I had offered to buy her a round but she beat me to it.

Πόσο τρομερά σύγχρονων της.

She told me that the old windmill reminded her of Frankenstein, the book rather than the golem. After learning some of what is and is not true of Bram Stoker’s work, I am terribly worried about what may be true of Shelley’s. Still, she said I should read it. So I should.

At the tavern, I learned...much. Αχ, έμαθα....

It seems that Monday afternoon, after we had only met for a second time, she traveled about with Torvus. Apparently Wes has been under the impression that we—Katja and I—are ‘an item.’

Εμείς μόνο ΑΙΜΑΤΗΡΗ είχαμε συναντηθεί δύο φορές!

While on one hand I can say such would be neither an unpleasant nor an undesired prospect, I still would prefer to be advised in advance when I am suddenly in a relationship. That sort of thing takes planning. Saving up money. Buffering the soul against hardship.

Μαθαίνοντας πώς να την προστατεύσει από τα βαμπίρ και λυκάνθρωπους.

I am not sure how he got that impression. I do intend to ask him once I have plotted his demise childishly, avoided confrontation while sewing discord, and otherwise completely sacrificed the moral high ground.

My only thought is that perhaps Izumi or Conlan, hearing me say, “My name is Thanasi, but you can call me ‘yours,’” assumed that Katja had already taken me up on the offer and spread the word. It is not a probable theory, but it is the only one I have.

Είμαι τόσο διαφανείς;

He also said—and this is the best part—that I look at her “The way a fat kid looks at cake.” What a horrible way to describe such a lovely girl.

Κάνει αυτό το όπλο με έκανε να φαίνομαι λίπος;

I apologized to her if I had come across to her in such a way. She said that if I had, we would not be talking to each other in the tavern. That is fair. I also told her that I look at her the way an educated man looks on a work of fine art. Not a predator; an admirer.

Ειλικρινά, εγώ μπορω να είναι πολύ φοβισμένοι να αγγίξει τέτοια λεπτή τέχνη για το φόβο να χαλάσω αυτό. Τόσο μεγάλο είναι στάχτη και σκόνη ήδη.

She made me promise to be nice to Wes. She says she thinks he is really a nice guy after all. I told her, “For you, anything.” She was non-specific as to what it means to be nice and I was non-specific as to what ‘anything’ means.

Θα πάρω ένα αυτί.

Throughout the discussion, I continued to learn other things, mostly pleasant. I learned that giving her a shotgun could net me a hug. Honestly in all my life it had never occurred to me to give a woman a weapon, particularly one with range.

I learned that she spent a year in India apparently learning to make very spicy food. She has also been to Greece, albeit not to Thessaloniki. At least she managed to avoid that tourist trap Athens.

The second most important thing I learned—wait, this takes background. While defending the way I look at her, I told her she presents a mystery. I told her about my observations when we first met, the tumult her life had been thrown into. She challenged me today like she did the first day: “So when I’m past that, will you still be interested, or will I simply be an ‘old mystery?’”

Έτσι φλογερό! Αυτή θα ήταν μια εξαιρετική ελληνική.

Here my scholarly spirit helped. I explained that I love to learn too much and that I doubt she could ever become an old mystery, such that I would stop learning. Then she opened to me a new mystery.

“Good,” she said. “I won’t be played with again. It happened before.”

This bears investigation.

Most importantly, she called me “Nice and handsome.”

Τους όλα έχω ξεγελάσει.

Σαν ένα λιπαρά παιδί ξεγελάσει κέικ....
Last edited by Didaskalos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

19 Ιούλιος 2012

There are two things that vex me more than anything: to fail a woman and to bore a woman. I am remarkably adept at both.

Αν και έχω μάθει πώς να αποσπάσει βαμπίρ και οι λυκάνθρωποι από Katja, τουλάχιστον. Τώρα πρέπω να αποκρούσει το κακό μανιτάρια και τα φαντάσματα.

Today began badly as it was. I tried to win football tickets to see ΠΑΟΚ play in London, but ended up texting the winning answer to Izumi twice instead. The bigger problem started yesterday, when I was too amazed as I wrote of Wes’s revelation to remember that I talk too much. Πάρα γαμώτο πολύ. I knew it as I was doing it, but still I did it. It was easy, effortless, because she asked questions I wanted to answer even as I didn’t want to talk about me.

Πάρα γαμώτο πολύ.

It continued today, not with the talking too much. This time we did not talk as much as I would have liked. Why must the only tavern in the Shadowy Forest be in Hell?

Right, we decided—I decided. Foolishly.Επειδή είμαι ανόητος, γεννηθηκα να είναι ανόητος, προορίζομαι να κάνει ανόητο αποφάσεις. Και όταν πεθάνω, τα παιδιά που παιζω μετά τον τάφω μου θα ήταν ανόητο επειδή έχουν ήταν κοντά. I decided we should try to explore Transylvania.

Did you know Brașov County is 5,363 km2? Of course you didn’t, Θανάσι. Επειδή είσαι ένα ανόητος!

We explored the central region, termed The Shadowy Forest. Much of it was easy enough and scary enough to move through quickly as a team. We did encounter horrible death mushrooms—not like the ones the Wabanaki use: these attacked us. Also there were specters.

Μισώ φαντάσματα.

Then came the bigger problem: places that were unclear on the map. For some reason the Romanian tourist board chose not to mark Vlad Țepeș’ grave on the map. There were other more difficult places to find, but the one that left me looking most foolish was the one we should have found first.

Eventually we explored all the places we had been told to in the Shadowy Forest, and then Katja departed. And I returned to London, ένα ανόητος.

I must go out again. I must kill something.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

OOC: What Thanasi woke to.

20 Ιούλιος 2012

Τοτε ειπα, Ω ταλας εγω διοτι εχαθην.

I'm sure Ησαίος might disagree with my usage here, but it feels fitting today. I awoke to some quite refreshing music and was ready to take on the world; more importantly, I was ready to atone for the sins of yesterday. When I arrived in Romania, I joined Katja who was slaying filth-infected werewolves with Wes.

I began to sense a pattern.

The past two days, Katja wore a long deep red blouse with lighter red designs on them and a pair of the recruit-issue Templar pants. Today, she was wearing a long black blouse and a short plaid miniskirt with knee-high boots.

Δεν θα ξεχνάω αυτό το στολή.

So when I got a chance, while Wes was talking to a priest, I told her that she looked exquisite today. We were in a church, so I didn't want to shout it at the top of my lungs--even if I really would if I weren't worried she would simply melt with embarrassment at such an outburst.

Ήταν πραγματικά εξαιρετική.

The point is, I whispered. She whispered her thanks back and we continued to talk in more hushed voices, even when Wes rejoined us and we had left the church.

Which is when he took the opportunity to strike.

"Should I leave you two alone?" he said.

Θεέ μου, δώσε μου δύναμη δεν τον να καταστρέφει αυτόν τον άνθρωπο!

Okay, so I may have been trying to monopolize her. I am a man; this is what I do. But to call attention to it.... Katja responded with embarrassment and I tried to blame it on a cultural norm. He responded, "It's okay. I'm used to it. Keep your chin up and think of England."

Ας το αναλάβει ο διάβολος τον άνθρωπο, αυτός είναι ένας Αμερικανός!

The rest is a blur for me because what happened next is unspeakable: Katja felt so badly for him that she invited him to her place for dinner!

Και τώρα θα φιλούν ή κάτι....

*angry scribbles and drawings*

Right. Ίσως εγώ πρεπει να είναι λιγότερο ανδροπρεπής;

As it turns out, that was the penultimate insult for the morning. Wes--as well as Jennet, with whom I have barely interacted--have both joined Rapier division.

So, looking through Wes's file, I see he is one year younger than I. He too is a graduate student, studying Romance languages--Βάρβαρο!--at Oxford.

Διαισθάνομαι Katja έχει έναν τύπο ...

His file indicates he dresses like a poor person, but leaves out his recent mental illness, his purgatorial sufferings, the fleas, and perhaps imagined lycanthropy. I'll see about updating the file accordingly. Of course, I'm sworn to be nice to him....

As for Jennet, she is Jennison Edwards, nicknamed Jenn. She was born in Chicago, but grew up in Herefordshire. If I recall correctly,that is out by the Welsh border. Another Oxford student--why are there so many?--she was studying archaeology. And that is all I particularly know about her.

Concilio Formata Dei.

It is time to focus again. I cannot allow myself to be defeated by my circumstances. Ήττα θα γεννήσει ήττα. This setback shall pass.

Θα πετύχω.

Εγώ έχω να πετύχει.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

21 Ιούλιος 2012

I ache. Badly. On a physical and metaphysical level.

For one, I think I hate the Romany girl Zaha. Or perhaps the Draculești.

Και το κόστος της μαγείας τους.

Honestly, what manner of man makes platforms like that? I can understand making them disappear. I cannot understand making them the size of a dinner plate. For hours I attempted to climb that hill, both last night and this. I would have drunk myself to sleep last night if I had not been too exhausted to drink!

Exhaustion.

I thought I was exhausted yesterday. Today....

I ache.

Once I finally retrieved the Romany artifacts and performed the accursed ritual, I decided to become a vagabond, working for no one, content to drift about the world exploring. And I did. I explored the length and breadth and depth of Transylvania. Not content to stop there, I returned to the desert and looked for some places marked on the map that I had not previously visited.

Including that ledge.

Θα ήθελα να το μοιραστεί μαζί της....

Exhaustion. I would be asleep even now instead of journaling at The Horned God were it not for this text. I may be able to forgive Wes his sins.

Ίσως μετά έχω προξενεί τον να ανησυχει....

That is a lesser concern, though. For now, I ache. Seven months ago I would have known what to do with this message. Now...am I that Thanasi still?

Πρέπει να ξέρω από τώρα.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didaskalos

Post by Didaskalos »

22 Ιούλιος 2012

I slept in today. There were many reasons for that.

Μια καλή βραδιά. Κακό όνειρα.

I decided to act on the text message from last night. I don't know how I feel about myself for that yet.

Αναρωτιέμαι αν θα σταματήσω να αμφιβάλλει.

Είχα νομίσει ότι ήμουν πέρα από κάθε αμφιβολία.

Ήμουν λάθος;

Concilio Firmata Dei.

I must go on in faith and joy. The past is something I cannot change, but the future is a path I must yet walk. If I walk in doubt and despair, I will bring suffering to those I would protect.

Δεν μπορώ να φέρει μια τέτοια σκέψη.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.