The Adventures of Don Thanasi the Gyromonger

Coffee, cake and a chat. (IC)
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Didaskalos

The Adventures of Don Thanasi the Gyromonger

Post by Didaskalos »

OOC: What follows is an edited and augmented chat log from four encounters I had this weekend. The title is a reference to something from the fourth 'chapter,' but I think you'll be able to figure it out.

Thanasi stepped out of his rented room at the Tabula Rasa preparing for an ‘exciting’ day of playing in the sand. He always prepared for desert fighting by dressing in a grey suit with red boots and a red tie. When completed with some decent shades he could almost imagine that he was in civilization out there in Egypt.

Of course, sometimes civilization presented its own amusements.

As he closed the door to the hotel behind him and put on his shades, he noticed a familiar face from the day before. “You!” the woman called to him with obvious hostility, a notable change from the day before when she had played the caring shoulder for Wesley’s drunken rant and then the concerned friend who just happened to hold on to Jenn’s mobile phone when she had dropped it. Thanasi had needed to act quickly to contain that little situation. Luckily he had been aware the bartender was a Templar. “I suppose you’re real proud of yourself, Don what’s-your-name!”

“Γεια σου, κα. Smith,” Thanasi said, buying a bit of time. Jan Smith—if that was her real name—appeared to be about the same age as he and seemed to have similar taste in clothing if not in dry cleaners. Her immaculately styled raven-black hair and smart business attire did little to detract from the frazzled image her wrinkled suit and the bags beneath her blue eyes projected. “Were the drinks I bought you such to be proud of?” Thanasi asked, fishing for more information.

The woman just seemed to get more agitated. "I wasn’t talking about that!”

“Oh?” Thanasi replied, schooling his expression as he tried to find out the latest developments from this woman he strongly suspected of being an enemy agent.

Poking him in the chest, the woman pushed him back almost against the wall. “So, what’s the deal here, then? Are you the big boss?” She looked him up and down and continued, “A don or something?”

Thanasi arched an eyebrow—the effect wasted on the woman from behind his shades—and looked down at his attire. “It’s the suit isn't it?” he replied. In fact, he had heard a similar comment from Jennison Edwards. Thinking back, he recalled that the night before when he had first encountered the Smith woman, he had been wearing a red sport coat and tie with black scarf. It had not been unusual attire for him, even back in Salonica, but it was a good deal more expensive-looking than the attire of his associates. He could see how one could mistake him for a crime boss.

And he was all right with that.

Smith paused and replied almost calmly, “It is. All you need is a cigar and a whiskey.” After another pause she continued, agitated again, index finger in his face. “But nevermind, I just want to warn you. I reported Jennet to the police. You should be expecting them. But that was me who did that. If you're upset, I'm warning you....” The woman stepped yet closer to him. “Take it out on me. Not on her. It was against her will.”

Thanasi ignored the bit about coming after Jenn and calmly replied, “Reported her for?”

“Carrying an assault rifle.” Thanasi did not flinch. Neither the Metro police nor Scotland Yard were of particular concern to him in Ealdwic, and playing the situation as uncaring would only confirm for her that he was some sort of mafioso. “No doubt to protect you from your enemies, or something,” the woman continued, narrowing her eyes.

Thanasi frowned in thought and replied, “Here I thought it was a shotgun.”

The woman ignored his statement, “And while we are at it, you should let Wesley out of your little crime ring as well. He’s a good kid.”

Thanasi could not hide a smirk this time at the thought of Wesley working for him. “I assure you, if I had a crime ring, Wesley would be the pizza boy.” He paused for a moment and looked her over. “You, on the other hand...you’ve got potential.”

Once again, the woman ignored the latter part of his comment, saying, “Regardless of his function, you let him go. And you let Jennet go as well. If I find out she’s been hurt, I’m reporting you to...whatever the British CIA is. Or FBI. I’ll make your life a living Hell.” Thanasi mentally checked off the names of MI-6 and MI-5 in his head as she spoke and thought of the raucous laughter that would attend this story in the lounge or the Temple Club. “And don’t even think about killing me. I’ve taken precautions. I watch TV—” Thanasi swallowed a laugh. “I know how these things go.”

Thanasi smiled and continued along the same lines as he had been before she had gone on this rant. “I wouldn’t dream of such a thing. You’re much too feisty for such things. Such women should be treasured.” There was truth in that. If the woman had been a Templar, he would have recommended her highly.

As he pulled out his mobile and rattled off a text message, she responded finally to his goads. “Spare me the slick speech. Promise me Jennet won’t get in any trouble.”

Looking up and pocketing his mobile, text unsent, he replied, “There. I fired Wes. Poor kid...just trying to pay his tuition. As to trouble for Jenn...you’re the one who reported her to the police, not I.”

Jan Smith brushed some hair out of her face. Thanasi could easily spot how her hand was shaking. Despite her strong stance, it was obvious she was at least playing terrified. “Trouble from you,” she replied, poking him in the chest again.

“You have been watching too much telly,” he answered, as another woman stepped out of the Tabula Rasa. “A wise man wastes no resources.”

The newcomer looked over Jan’s obvious agitation and said, “Hey, are you okay?”

Thanasi knew he had to play it carefully now. It was one thing to play into the delusions of one woman in London. It was quite another to have others think he was bullying her. Thanasi looked to the newcomer. She was a tallish, skinny young girl, probably barely out of her teens. With pale skin, straight jet-black hair and bright blue eyes, she spoke with an American accent, probably from New England. “I'm fine, thanks,” he answered, buying time and trying to defuse a now-tense situation.

“Okay?” Smith said, shaking. Dammit, she’s good. “I....”

The newcomer peered around Smith at him, and ignored his comments. That is happening too much today. “Yeah. This guy’s not causing you any trouble, right?” Thanasi almost appreciated the irony of the situation, given that he was the one with his back literally against the wall. His height and demeanor had allowed him to maintain what passed for ‘control’ in this situation,

Smith pressed closer again, glaring up at him, “I don’t know if I am,” she began. Terrific. “Am I, don...what’s-your-name?” She held her glare another moment and then stepped back. “No, he’s not—thank you for asking.”

Thanasi unconsciously straightened his coat and stepped away from the door, saying, “Nothing to worry about here, κυρία. I was just leaving when this young woman approached me about some mutual acquaintances.”

The newcomer frowned, ignoring Thanasi. “Well...okay. But you looked pretty shook up is all. Are you sure?”

“It’s the suit,” he said, stepping to the curb. “Comes off a bit strong.”

Smith turned to the newcomer even as the newcomer frowned at her own suit. “I....” She paused for a moment, looking down at her hand, which she had balled into a fist, then released it a few times. “I’m all right.” She sighed, in a tone implying she was only just all right. “Just a lot to deal with the past few days.”

“If it please you,” Thanasi interjected, “I was on my way. I can leave you.”

Smith shook her head once in response, reaching to lightly hold Null-State’s wrist. Better hold on to your wallet, woman. “Nothing about you pleases me, don what’s-your-name. Just make sure Jenn stays all right. If I find out anything happened....” She let the threat linger.

Thanasi smiled with genuine amusement, knowing Jenn was far more fond of threatening him than he was of threatening her. Bowing his head to the two, he said, “Ladies, I shall leave you be. Just, uh...” He pitched his voice as though speaking only to the newcomer, “Watch your wallet.”

The newcomer was fishing in her pocket as Thanasi turned to cross the street, and he could hear her mumble, “Stealin’ from me would be a really bad idea.”

“Same for Wes,” Smith continued to his back. “Give him...ten thousand. Pounds! For his trouble.”

When he reached the other side of the street, he turned and bowed to them more fully. “Κα. Smith, always a pleasure.” Blowing a kiss, he departed toward Ealdwic station.

Somewhere behind him, he could hear the shout, “MI-6!” Thanasi chuckled as he fished around in his pocket for his mobile.
Last edited by Didaskalos on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanasi Vasiliou - Rapier Division
Didaskalos

Re: The Adventures of Don Thanasi the Gyromonger

Post by Didaskalos »

“Edwards,” the voice on the phone said.

Thanasi smiled when he heard Jenn’s voice. Her agitation at least indicated that she was still a fighter. “Γεια σου, Jenn,” he replied into the phone. “I hear you ran into κα. Smith again today?”

He heard a sigh on the end of the line, and then she began in the same clipped voice, saying, “In my head, I manage to report to you before you find things out. Only in my head.” Thanasi chuckled at her opening, remembering how he had appeared behind her in Egypt the day before. She did not need to know his source. “Yes. Her story was she was trying to save me from the mob. I told her ‘Daddy designed weapons, I tested them, I had papers to carry them...anywhere.’” After a brief pause he heard her mumble, “The papers are actually around somewhere at Edwards’.”

Thanasi shook his head, chuckling again. “Yes, and apparently I am now your Godfather. It is quite the responsibility.”

He could almost feel Jenn pressing her hand to her forehead on the other side of the line, “My...this all becomes more ludicrous since I was born in Chicago.” After a pause during which he imagined her shaking her head, she continued, “So, Don Thanasi, what do you require of me?”

“Was there any other actionable information in the incident?” Thanasi replied, back to business.

“Yes, actually,” Jenn began. “She was with a friend who obviously knew how things lay and tried to talk her out of, as he put it, ‘playing with fire.’ She insisted...when he tried to physically stop her from calling the police—waste of time, by the by—she got angry at him...blue-eyed angry...glowing blue-eyed angry. Subtle, but there.”

Thanasi made a mental note of the glowing blue eyes, but he had already strongly suspected her of being an enemy agent. “Did you catch a name perchance?”

“Seph, or Sephr?” she replied. “Who names their kids these things?”

With disdain, Thanasi replied, “Americans.” It was a cheap shot, he knew, but he regretted nothing.

“I have her card,” Jenn continued. “Jan’s, not Sephwhoever. And really, I doubt it. Sounded straight out of the East End.”

“The English are just Americans who have yet to evolve beer bellies.” Another cheap shot to see if she would rise to the bait, then back to business. “If you can send me a cap of the card, it would be appreciated.”

“He’s a he. Sephr.” Her voice sounded mildly strained as though she were involved in some physical exertion. “You know I’m hopping around in the train station in bunny slippers putting pants on? So if I drop the phone this time, it’s on you.”

“Why...” he began, and then thought of a better idea. “Jenn...if you need a place for a fling, Tabula Rasa is a block from the Tube.”

Silence followed on her end for a moment. “Fling? I don’t fling! I don’t even...I mean I haven’t...oh for the love of..... I was at a costume party!”

Thanasi looked at his wrist before remembering he did not have a watch. “Ah. Is that already past?” He had assumed it would be later in the day, but time was so tight these days.

“No idea...she showed up early on to talk to me. We went to the God for some privacy. Think the thing’s over.” Some privacy?

“Ah. Well, you did well,” he began, meaning it. She had needed the encouragement after the week she had, he felt. “Just remember, sleeping with enemy agents is strongly discouraged. Flies spread disease and all that.” Not too much encouragement, of course.

It had the desired effect. “Sleeping with...I SLEEP WITH CATS!” She had actually yelled so loudly that the sound produced feedback in his mobile. After a pause, she coughed and added, “Sorry, Sir.”

He was never going to get used to that, and he strongly suspected she enjoyed that knowledge. “That’s...also discouraged,” he replied, undeterred. “I may never look at you the same again....”

She was silent for a moment again before replying wearily, “Not like that...I mean, I sleep. I don’t ‘sleep’...I.... Is this somehow helping us resolve the issue with the enemy agent?”

He chuckled. “No. But it makes me smile. Speaking of which,” he continued, returning to a more serious tone, “how are you doing, my dear?”

Jenn sighed and seemed to think for a moment. “Oh, I don’t know anymore. The thing with this ‘Jan’ shook me up, but Tom and Alex were there, the police did what we pay them to do, and it seemed to go fairly quietly. For the rest? I haven’t heard from Wes since you called me to the God. I’m really worried about him, Thanasi. He looked like he hated me...but someone’s gotta watch out for him.”

The latter was the part that concerned him more. Jenn was stronger than she knew, at least as it pertained to work. Further, Tom and Alex having her back was very good news. Nothing could affect their work circumstances like interpersonal drama. “Do not worry about Wes for now, dear one. Katja returns tomorrow and she...I don’t know. You had a way with him, but she has a different way. I’ve told her about his current state.” He let her process that for a moment before continuing. “As to the situation with Jan, you did well. Remember that next time you say you’ve been breaking things this week.”

“Yeah...somehow I think the week’s not over yet. Thanks for looking after Wes. I’m still going to try to talk to him. If he’ll even look at me.”

Thanasi looked over his shoulder as he stood outside the coffee shop and noticed Jan Smith, the newcomer from earlier, and yet another woman who was wearing all white coming toward the shop. The latter had the look of a Venice rep, although what he heard from her was clearly a Scottish accent.

“Understandable,” he said, stepping closer to the street and pitching his voice so as not to be overheard by the Smith woman. “Give him time. Right now Wes is more interested in a woman as a bandage. You, if you even need a man right now, need someone who will let you be you. And...I have spectators.” As the women passed by, he began to make his way to Ealdwic station.

“I’ll let you go. And it’s not about what I need. No idea what I need...except for him not to hate me. That’d be good. Thanks for the help today, Thanasi.” As she said this, Thanasi turned the corner and saw Jenn kicking a bunny slipper into an empty corridor of the station. “Tell me sometime how you knew about this one before I reported it,” she said.

Hanging up the mobile and pocketing it, Thanasi took a few steps down the stairs toward her—she still not looking his way—and said, “And make myself common?”

Jenn, apparently growing used to his sudden appearances, put her hands up and grinned. “Heaven forfend!”

Thanasi bowed to Jenn. “If you are going for a drink, Jenn, may I suggest coffee?”

“Good idea after that last bourbon!” she said a bit too cheerily.

He slipped a few PXR into her hands and said, “On me. Though not literally like you are fantasizing.”

She looked down at the money, pondering. “You know I could probably buy Greece.... I mean, not that I don’t appreciate the coffee!”

Stepping past her, he smiled at the jab at his homeland’s economic crisis, something which had seemed so much more important to him eight long months ago. “Couldn’t we all?” he asked rhetorically. “If you need me, I shall be somewhere with plausible deniability.”

“Fair point,” she replied as he advanced toward the Agartha portal. Then she laughed and added, “I swear, I hear Bond music....”
Thanasi Vasiliou - Rapier Division