Gear Stats 101 - Saturday 7 March, 20.00 GMT

Past events / Archive of scheduled events.
May be read by: Public+

Moderator: Leaders

Floryn
Twitter: @DutchFloryn

Gear Stats 101 - Saturday 7 March, 20.00 GMT

Post by Floryn »

Because some people would like some more information about Gear Stats, this workshop is scheduled.
The idea is to look at the current gear of the people attending and give tips on what to focus on.

If you are interested in attending this workshop, please sign up below.

The workshops also needs someone with a bit of know-how. If you are interested in leading this workshop, please sign up below as well (clearly stating your role ;) ).

Teacher: <your name here?>

Attendees:
1. Maleficinthia (to be confirmed)
2. XdiashiX
3. Floryn
4. Chaosetor (possibly teaching)
5. Stevias
"...the prosaic materialism of the majority condemns as madness the flashes of super-sight which penetrate the common veil of obvious empiricism." - H.P. Lovecraft

Proud member of Nine Swords - Leader of the Rapier Division
Chaosetor
Twitter: @Chaosetor_tsw

Re: Gear Stats 101 - Saturday 7 March, 20.00 GMT

Post by Chaosetor »

I'd like to attend, either as a participant, but I can also do some teaching if no better option presents itself as this is a 101 course :) I would need a basic explanation on how these things are generally done first, though :P
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Zen

Post by Zen »

I could attend and do the teaching when it comes to DPS, although I'd like to see more raiders in the list.
Chaosetor
Twitter: @Chaosetor_tsw

Post by Chaosetor »

Zen wrote:I could attend and do the teaching when it comes to DPS, although I'd like to see more raiders in the list.
For what reason? This is clearly stated as a 101 course, i.e only the most basic of gearing will be covered, and gear stats only; not abilities, weapon combinations and so forth. That would surely belong under a dedicated workshop dedicated to such a subject. Gear stats, such as the difference between AR, Hr and HP, offensive vs defensive glyph stats, weapon power vs combat power, the concept of diminishing returns etc. would be filed under basic gearing. This is something our raid DPS very much have covered. Your complaints about the raid DPSes have largely been in relation to their choice of weaponry, ranged vs. melee. Where the simple fact is that melee combinations such as blade/fist or hammer/fist will generally do more DPS than ranged weapons (there are exceptions, I have seen a blood/ele DPS pull well over 10k in a prolonged fight). That you pull over 4k DPS is all well and good; good for you! But it does not in any way render DPSes who choose to stick to ranged weaponry redundant or incompetent, quite the opposite as a matter of fact as any kill under 10 minutes will be a successful one, and we are far away from that marker.

Edit: I apologise if I seem cross, rude or in any other way unjust as that is not my intention at all :-)
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Floryn

Post by Floryn »

Perhaps I should have made it more clear why I scheduled this workshop.

The idea for this workshop arose when Maleficinthia and XdiashiX asked about gear stats because they had some trouble in the Blue Mountain area (at least that is how I remember it ;) ). I then suggested that it might be a good idea to set some time apart to discuss this subject, hence this workshop. So, the intention is to give people a basic understanding of the different stats they encounter, so that they can make an educated choice whether to swap an existing talisman for a new drop.

Of course, this workshop is not mandatory, so if Maleficinthia or XdiashiX can't attend (I will gladly reschedule it to a more convenient date or time), or decide this is a bit too much or whatever, that's all good. I just wanted to create the opportunity.

The idea Zenway posted perhaps goes beyond the idea of this workshop but it's nevertheless an idea we could follow up on. I know Zenway sees opportunities for raid dps-ers to get even better than they already are and I welcome that initiative. I will be happy to schedule another Gear Stats workshop specifically directed at NY Raid (dps) stats. But that one too will not be mandatory.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer, so you all know what to expect when you sign up. :mrgreen:
"...the prosaic materialism of the majority condemns as madness the flashes of super-sight which penetrate the common veil of obvious empiricism." - H.P. Lovecraft

Krullos

Post by Krullos »

i will be there, possibly with bells on :>)
stevias

Post by stevias »

Count me in, i have lots to learn :D
Regrette

Post by Regrette »

Sorry I'll be working during this. Theory-craft is always fun.
I also hate cookie cutter builds. And it's nice to hear what people make work situationally.

Chaos is great at improv. He can toss something together i'd never think of.

Also. Never be afraid to ask someone yer grouping with or in cabal for info.
I drove poor Kisshoten and endoscopy nutty. But they both were extremely helpful
YOLO.
It's like Carpe Diem for the uneducated.
Floryn

Post by Floryn »

Regrette wrote:Sorry I'll be working during this. Theory-craft is always fun.
I also hate cookie cutter builds. And it's nice to hear what people make work situationally.
If you like I could schedule another workshop at a time more convenient for you (and possibly others).
Regrette wrote: Chaos is great at improv. He can toss something together i'd never think of.
He is like a walking TSW-wiki! 8-)
I am often amazed about how much game knowledge people have at hand.
Regrette wrote: Also. Never be afraid to ask someone yer grouping with or in cabal for info.
I drove poor Kisshoten and endoscopy nutty. But they both were extremely helpful
Indeed! Ask and ask again.

stevias

Post by stevias »

where are we meeting?