Random Thread

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Kharzon

Re: Random Thread

Post by Kharzon »

Fetterlock wrote:Whoa, an Elder Scrolls MMO has been announced! http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... ature/6367
After Morrowind, only player made mods made the games any good, imo. Played Skyrim all of 30 minutes before I uninstalled. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is much much better.

Kotts wrote:This is pretty awesome, and the second half justifies a WTH!? response.

As a warning there is some gore involved if you have some young eyes looking over your shoulder.
Yeah, It was great up until Master Chief...then, well, w/e.

Welcome to the Internet. Where men are men, women are men and little girls are F.B.I. Agents.
Fetterlock

Post by Fetterlock »

Kharzon wrote:After Morrowind, only player made mods made the games any good, imo. Played Skyrim all of 30 minutes before I uninstalled.
I really, really love Morrowind, and I have felt the games that followed it were a bit lacking by comparison, but I can hardly believe that the first 30 minutes of Skyrim seemed so bad that you didn't want to continue with it. I'm usually the first person to start complaining when I don't like something (and I actually was complaining about Skyrim on Facebook on the first day I played it to be honest) but still I feel kind of grateful that they are still making some reasonably decent games to keep me interested in the world of The Elder Scrolls, and I appreciate having another map to travel through and new places to explore in Skyrim. One thing seems certain to me: the caves and dungeons are much better and more interesting in Skyrim than they have ever been before.

As for the new MMO, I know that a lot of people are saying that it is going to be a betrayal of the franchise, but I think in this case I love the series so much that I might be willing to cut an MMO developer a little slack for the first time in my life. As long as it is a sandbox PVE game with a freaking huge world and tons of lore, I will probably feel that my basic Elder Scrolls needs have been fulfilled. But then it might not be sandboxy enough, and it might be all PVP all the time, and then I won't be so happy. The combat system will be another difficult issue, because the MMOs that have had proper sword-swinging real-time combat haven't been hits (I'm still amazed that The Chronicles of Spellborn died in less than a year in spite of being really good in most respects) and if the news reports are correct it sounds like this game is going to have a screwy time-bar combat system of some sort. So maybe it isn't time to celebrate yet, but I am still hopeful and open-minded about all things related to The Elder Scrolls.

I'm not familiar with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning but I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Kharzon

Post by Kharzon »

Yeah, the UI was bad and pretty much the same old stuff. I installed it after a huge amount of mods were made, including SkyUI, and that made it a bit better, but not much. Unless they really come up with some impressive interactive AI, the quest system will be the same as anywhere else, + it'll be a fantasy MMO and if they keep true to the games, it'll have a MUD based skill system where you level them up by use. I'll check it out and apply for the beta, but I'm not really looking forward to it.

TSW on the other hand, has some fresh ideas, lore/setting, etc. I'm leery of the fact it's Funcom, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they learned from AO/AoC. This weekend we'll all see :)

Welcome to the Internet. Where men are men, women are men and little girls are F.B.I. Agents.
Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

Keep in mind this is an open beta, meaning you're not going to be experiencing the game as it will be at launch and later on.

I would be sad to see anyone setting themselves up for disappointment...
Kharzon

Post by Kharzon »

Xeeyon wrote:Keep in mind this is an open beta, meaning you're not going to be experiencing the game as it will be at launch and later on.

I would be sad to see anyone setting themselves up for disappointment...
Oh, I understand there are place holder animations, etc, but this close to launch, it's got to have _some_ polish. You can ask Storm, I knew what was up the first day I played the SWTOR beta and called that on the nose. Pretty good with assessments after so many beta's.

Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

And I thought a random thread, by definition, could not be derailed :P
Uragon
Commander

Post by Uragon »

That's not even the first time it happened, back on page 6 I was already telling Kotts, Max and Pluto to stay "off a topic". Guess that's just human nature, we always find a common thing to talk about.
Fetterlock

Post by Fetterlock »

Since we're all very interested in new developments in Norwegian entertainment, I thought I would post a song from a great but little-known Norwegian rock band. Airbag is a Pink Floyd-influenced prog rock band, although they aren't necessarily trying to perfectly copy the classic Floyd style in their sound. I think they have an excellent and unique style of their own, and their compositions seem very atmospheric. Their guitarist, Bjørn Riis, also happens to be the driving force behind an awesome David Gilmour fan site called Gilmourish.com. If any of you are guitarists or Pink Floyd fans, I recommend you check out all the exhaustive guitar gear info and reviews at Gilmourish.

Nexa
Founder (retired)

Post by Nexa »

Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

Nexa wrote:Image
:lol: We should have gotten one saying "About time!...", seeing how many times we got that reaction... But there's still the 2nd ceremony :evil:

On a completely unrelated note:

Use sparingly? :mrgreen: