[Reminder] OOC Information

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Didaskalos

[Reminder] OOC Information

Post by Didaskalos »

The information contained in here is also to be considered Out-of-character (OOC) knowledge.

OOC Knowledge: unless you witnessed an event or the author makes explicit in his entry that the information is knowable, the information in these stories is not something that your character knows.

The former category (events you witnessed) is an important category because there is a difference between witnessing a character's actions and knowing his thoughts. For example, when Xeeyon went on vacation and left Thanasi in-charge, he journaled the following:
Didaskalos wrote:Truly, I shall be a just and merciful ruler after the manner of Δημήτριος Ιωαννίδης.
Everyone can know that Xeeyon left Thanasi in charge. What he journaled is completely impossible knowledge for your character to possess unless Thanasi tells you or gives you access to his journal. To use this knowledge under other circumstances would be to imply that your character stole Thanasi's journal (which would not be good--seriously, don't even think about it) or you were playing a psychic (see below).

Since roleplay in the cabal is not restricted to members of Rapier division, not everyone who roleplays may be familiar with the Rapier Division Directives. In particular, please note the articles on Using OOC Knowledge, Metagaming, and Godmoding (which includes playing a psychic).

If in doubt, please ask the player directly whether that information is knowable by your character before using it. There is no roleplay situation that cannot benefit from keeping the OOC lines of communication open.

Also, if another player challenges you on the knowledge you claim to have and advises you that you cannot know it, please be respectful of the player. It is better to 'forget' information your character actually has and preserve cabal relationships than to stand your ground and cause discord.

Please note: I used myself in these examples because I have not had any actual problems yet with people using out of character information. These are merely examples.
Last edited by Katelin on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanasi Vasiliou - Rapier Division